ANTI-CAPITALIST TEACH-IN: MAY DAY AND LABOUR
Call for workshop proposals
As part of a mobilization towards the 2013 Anti-capitalist May Day march, we are calling for workshop proposals for a one-day anti-capitalist teach-in, which will take place on April 7, 2013. This call out is aimed at any individual or group who would like to submit a workshop proposal for this teach-in.
We are looking for workshops related to May Day and/or labour, from an anti-capitalist perspective. Workshops can be introductory or more in-depth and either participatory or more of a presentation. They should be two hours in length.
Here are some potential topics: - May Day, international workers day; - History of workers' struggles in Quebec; - The abolition of work; - Alternative work (coops, worker-run factories, etc.); - Critical view of unions; supporting workers' struggles while being against work; general strike; solidarity among workers' struggles; - Temporary foreign workers, undocumented/non-status workers, Live-in care-giver programme, international division of labour / global apartheid, free trade zones (maquiladoras); - Patriarchy, racism and labour; - Domestic work; affective and/or immaterial labour; - Plan North and labour, environmental issues, indigenous sovereignty and resource sector workers; - Precarity, austerity and labour; changes to unemployment insurance; new forms of struggle in a time of austerity and workers' struggles outside unions; unemployed and poor people's struggles; changing nature of labour and social class; - Work in prison; unemployment and prison system; - Schools as a factory for the workforce.
Only anti-capitalist, anti-authoritarian, anti-colonial and anti-oppression workshops will be considered!
Groups are also invited to collaborate to put together a workshop.
Deadline for submitting a proposal: February 17, 2013
Send your workshop proposal to email@example.com with the following information:
- Title of workshop;
- Who will be presenting the workshop;
- Workshop description;
- Briefly explain the way in which your perspective is anti-capitalist.
- Will your workshop be participatory or more of a presentation? If it is participatory, explain how you will make it participatory.
- Will your workshop be an introduction to anti-capitalism or more in-depth?
- Would you like your workshop to be added to the Workshop Database*?
- Are you open to collaborating with others in the context of this workshop if we propose teaming you up with others?
- Your contacts (email or telephone)?
- Main language(s) to be used in the workshop?
For more info: firstname.lastname@example.org
This teach-in is the second in what we hope will become a series. If you wuld like to get involved in organizing the teach-in, please contact us! You can also contact us if you would like to have an info-table during the teach-in: email@example.com.
- Visit our database of anticapitalist workshops to see what is available or register your own workshop: this is a popular education tool aimed at making anti-capitalist workshops available from various activist groups more accessible to anyone interested in holding one of the workshops (eg student movement, neighbourhood assemblies, community centres, etc.). For more information: http://ateliersanticapitalistes.wordpress.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.
in solidarity, CLAC Popular Education Committee